Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Morning Star

Good afternoon all!

As I'm getting things together for the Blog, I've found a great picture to put up for my profile. OK. It's not me. I'm not that fuzzy. But it IS my baby.

This is the wonderful one who curls up beside me during the day or beside me on the bed (besides by husband and the other pets.) This is the Morning Star.

This loving, 20 pound ball of fur was found by my husband a few months before we met. The cat was thrown out a car window near the property of Farmer's Market/Flea Market near York, PA - where we lived before coming to DC. This market was called Morningstar Markets, hence the name of the kitty.

MS wandered around the market and was fed by some of the nice ladies selling their wares. But as winter approached, fewer people were there to feed him and they grew worried about how he would survive.

Along comes the (then, going-to-be-)husband. MS approached him and let him pick him up. He had found a home! The ladies twisted my husband's arm (just a little bit) and convinced him to take the cat.

A couple months later, I entered the picture. The cat was being standoffish (a cat? really?) and was just happy having food and company, but kept to himself. He may have also been a little unhappy that he was thought to be a she... give him a break - he's fat, fixed and has a high voice. As soon as I entered the picture, the cat loved me!

At the time, I was having problems with my knee and needed to stay off my feet as much as possible. The cat and I would curl up on the couch and watch TV or play video games. Our bond was forged.

Now 3 years later, we are in DC. Morning Star lives up to his other namesake. For those of you familiar with religious lore, you may recall that Lucifer was also referred to as the Morning Star before his fall. And what a devil this cat can be.

He may be cute and loving, but he's all claws and teeth when he wants to be. You might think that when a cat exposes his belly, he is exposing his softest part to you. He's exposing a bear trap. There are five lethal weapons waiting to clamp down on your hand!

But for all the claws and teeth, though, my Morning Star is the second love of my life - following closely behind my husband.

He's cute, fuzzy and warm and he's reminding me that I need to get to work.

Farewell for now...